In early 2023, we launched our first Employee Resource Group (ERG): Women in Manufacturing (WiM)! This group came to life because of the passion Kristie West, Lourdes De Cardenas and Angie Rohrer have for diversity and inclusion.
WiM is a voluntary, employee-led group aiming to foster a diverse, inclusive workplace. We chose the WiM ERG, which is also a national organization, because as a manufacturing organization it’s important to develop an inclusive work environment where employees can learn, grow and develop and we can attract more great talent to Orchid.
Our mission is to position women to develop their confidence and further their value within the organization as their authentic selves. Through advocacy, career development and networking opportunities, this community will promote an inclusive environment to provide resources and enable women to advance their skills and leadership potential in all functional positions
We created a WiM steering team who have passion for collaboration and development. This team consists of:
- Jen Biggar and Tikisha Cook, Co- leads
- Ellie Watson, Secretary
- Sally Sproat and Holly Plaga, Marketing and Communications
- Stephanie Akker, Human Resources
- Katie Doe and Rhonda Kennedy, Community Outreach
- Margaret Orskey and Fred Reynolds, Membership
We have already hosted many activities, such as:
- Attending both the regional and national WiM conferences
- Having an Orchid WiM logo contest
- Hosting WiM Membership Plant launches in both Detroit and Bridgeport
- Various activities at the plant level to support and develop our members
Plans for 2024 include the launch at the eight remaining sites by April. We are also in the process of completing a calendar of events at each site that will drive engagement and draw additional members.
The goal is for each site to operate uniquely under the guidance of the steering committee without duplicating efforts. Look for 2024 planned events at your site very soon!